Hypnotherapy (&NLP) frequently cures phobias so completely that my clients are left bemused about where it went! Even severe phobias can be treated this effectively so it really is worth coming to see me.
What is a phobia?
- When a fear has become severe enough that it disrupts daily life it is called a 'phobia'.
- A phobia is a fear of an object or a situation where the fear is out of proportion to what you'd consider a 'rational' response.
- Phobias can be terrifying, and can generate real physiological symptoms which are frightening in themselves. e.g. nausea, erratic heartbeat, dizziness, blurred vision and fainting ... (see Panic Attacks). You then develop a fear of the 'fear reaction'.
What caused my phobia?
- If I was to list all the known phobias the list would be never-ending as anyone could develop a phobia to almost any object or situation. All phobias develop the same way and hence are susceptible to the same interventions. I can generally help with them all.
-All a phobia needs to get started is an unpleasant experience followed by subsequent avoidance of similar situations. Unfortunately, avoiding the situation 'rewards' the fearful behaviour with temporary relief. The sub conscious mind then encourages us towards this 'rewarding' behaviour and hence escalates the fear with every avoidance until ultimately a full blown, panic inducing phobia is developed.
Phobias can be triggered in many ways:
- It may be a learned fear copied off someone else
- It may be the result of a severe trauma in your past
- It may be a product of severe stress
- It may be a series of experiences over a long period which have built up into excessive anxiety
- It may be the result of 'the fear of fear' itself
- Phobias are still a product of the mind though so are susceptible to being completely, and often rapidly, removed using hypnotherapy and NLP.
Hypnotherapy can remove the 'learned response' and allow your responses to return to their natural state. It can enable your mind to feel better about itself and, along with relaxation and confidence building sessions, you can then feel empowered and free to get the most out of life.
Some of the most common physical symptoms attached to phobia are:
- shortness of breath
- eratic heartbeat
- nausea and dizziness
- increased muscle tension
- sweaty palms
- blurred vision
Combined with these can be psychological symptoms such as:
- a sense of unreality
- a fear of dying
- panic attacks
The 10 most common phobias that may be cured by Hypnotherapy and/or NLP are:
- Arachnophobia (spiders)
- Sociaphobia (social anxiety)
- Aviophobia (flying)
- Agoraphobia (fear of anxiety attacks)
- Claustrophobia (enclosed spaces)
- Emetophobia (fear of vomiting)
- Acrophobia (fear of heights)
- Carcinophobia (fear of cancer)
- Brontophobia (thunderstorms)
- Necrophobia (fear of death or dead things)
*Required disclaimer: Results, symptoms and treatment may vary from person to person, all individual cases are taken on merit.
Phobias are all diferent in some way because everybody is unique. But,
whatever your phobia, there are several major steps that can be taken
(involving a combination of Hypnotherapy and NLP) to beat your fear.
The most frequently used methods are:
- Take the legs out from under your phobia and topple it in one fell swoop (using advanced NLP Fast Phobia techniques, if appropriate, you may be able to literally laugh your phobia away!)
- Identify the specific event that created your fear and remove all ties with it (can be amazingly effective but not always appropriate or necessary)
- Increase your confidence (confidence boosting sessions under hypnosis can help you deal with many things)
- Confront your fear in a non-threatening way (under hypnosis, deeply relaxed, step by step)
- Reprogramme your subconscious mind with regards to your fears (using a range of hypnotic suggestions and NLP its possible to remove the irrational processes and return you to your natural, logical viewpoint)
The first session will involve taking a medical history, understanding your situation, where the fear might have come from, and understanding your bodys physiological responses to fear. If there is time we can try a special NLP 'fast-phobia' technique.
Subsequent sessions would generally involve confidence boosting and phobia removal using hypnosis and NLP, though treatments are always tailored to your specific needs. Treatment can continue in this vein until the specific fear response has been removed and you are completely free from your phobia.
This varies from person to person.